Drew Hogwood Scholarship Fund
The Drew Hogwood Professional Development Fund will provide young professionals and students with the opportunity to build their knowledge and skills through education, training and conferences in the fields of community development and affordable housing. Potential scholarship recipients can apply directly to the Virginia Housing Alliance to receive funds that can be used to pay conference registration, training fees, and related expenses.
Drew Hogwood was a long time community development banker in Virginia and a friend and supporter of affordable housing. Drew passed away on August 12, 2014 but his spirit and his work continue to live on. Drew had a passion for housing, for community development, and for helping people in need.
Drew was a native Virginian and worked for the Federal Reserve in Washington, DC and Dallas. In 1991 Drew returned to Virginia where he became a Senior Vice President for Sovran Bank and then NationsBank. He later served as Vice President and Community Development Manager for SunTrust Bank where he retired in 2012. After retirement, he returned to consult with the Virginia Community Development Corporation. Throughout his life, Drew was an advocate for affordable housing and community development and served as a volunteer on many Boards and committees. He also had a passion for getting young people engaged in the community development industry that he loved.
VHA would like to thank the following organizations who have committed support to the Fund and look we forward to adding new sponsors that can sustain this fund as a permanent resource for emerging leaders in our field.
- Bank of America
- Emerging Leaders Network / VHCIS
- Virginia Community Capital
- Virginia Community Development Corporation
- Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development
- Virginia Downtown Development Association
- Virginia Housing Coalition Information Service
- Virginia Housing Development Authority
Scholarship Information and Guidelines
- Available to housing professionals and students
- Maximum Award is $250. This can be used for registration, travel, material, or other related expenses
- The award must be used for events in Virginia or Washington, D.C.
- Unless a student, you must work in the affordable housing industry
- Unless a student, must contribute to your professional development
To Apply to the Drew Hogwood Scholarship, click here.
For information about how to contribute to the Fund, please contact Costa Canavos at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rachel Bates at email@example.com. Contributions are tax deductible. Checks should be made payable to the Virginia Housing Alliance and mailed to PO Box 14649, Richmond, VA 23221.